Insurance companies will often try to deny or underpay pipe damage claims for, at least, one of the following reasons:
- Failure of Proper Maintenance
- Damage was not “Sudden and Accidental”
- Leaks Lasting Longer than 14 Days
- No Coverage for “Flood” Losses
- No Coverage for “Plumbing” Issues Generally
Although they often rely on these reasons to deny coverage, these exemptions many times do not “hold water” and are as faulty as the cast iron pipes sought to be repaired. Furthermore, you might receive less than the cost of repairs because the insurance company may only want to pay what is obviously damaged.